Nathaniel is a Proven Conservative who knows how to Lower Taxes, Grow the Economy, and Create Jobs. He strongly Supports our Brave Law Enforcement and Veterans, Election Integrity, Secure Borders, and our under siege Second Amendment. Nathaniel Moran is a Champion of our America First agenda, and he has my Complete and Total Endorsement!
Nathaniel Moran is a true freedom-loving East Texan. He has shown time and time again his commitment to our deeply held values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This was never more evident than in his response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He has not wavered from his commitment to protect our individual liberty while keeping our community safe.
Sanctity of Life
Public Safety & Border Security
Judge Moran recognizes our safety and security depend on a secure border. Because the current administration refuses to act to secure our border, it is a full-scale national security issue. Judge Moran will take strong action to secure our border and stop the influx of drugs, human trafficking, and gang activity coming into our state. Nathaniel understands that we are a nation of laws and if our nation is to remain strong, we must stay true to the Rule of Law.
Stop Government Overreach
Parental Rights & Education
- Decreased Smith County property tax rate during pandemic
- In 2021, increased law enforcement salaries an average of 14%, and 25% for entry-level positions to help address high turnover and recruitment challenges
- Successfully led Smith County through the COVID-19 pandemic, protecting both life and liberty, and earning praise from both conservative grassroots activists and Harvard University’s “Pandemic Resilience: Getting it Done”
- Proposed and adopted a tax rate more than 50 cents below the No New Revenue rate in 2020
- Fully automated the probate, guardianship, and mental health court docket, creating a much more efficient process
- Saved taxpayer dollars by establishing and overseeing one of the few Assistive Outpatient Treatment Courts designed for those suffering from mental illness, allowing them to live independently without court oversight
- Invested in new voting machines with the tightest security and a paper backup
- Committed to ensuring secure, accurate, legal, and transparent elections run smoothly so our citizens can trust that their right to vote is protected
- Commissioned wholesale review of voter data to ensure accuracy of ballots
Accountability & Transparency
- Implemented extensive public budget workshops to provide citizens in-depth information about how their tax dollars are being spent
- Initiated the Community Commitment Report, an annual State of the County address in partnership with the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce aimed at strengthening relationships and communication between county and city leaders
- Re-designed the Smith County website to ensure public information is easy to access
- Regularly evaluates and assesses each administrative department to improve efficiency and review the value they bring to Smith County
Support for Veterans
- Ensured the highest quality customer service for men and women in uniform from the Smith County Veterans Office
- Promoted services offered by the Smith County Veterans Office
- Created a strong partnership between Smith County and CampV, a regional veterans service organization
Problem Solving & Long Term Planning
- Oversaw the development of a 20-year facilities plan to ensure the needs of major facilities were planned for and funded appropriately to make the most use of every tax dollar
- Developed a 6-year Road & Bridge Plan to reconstruct and repave 500 miles of Smith County Roads
- Used cash reserves to plan for and purchase a new Road & Bridge facility
- Held dozens of public hearings & workshops and worked with stakeholders to develop a long-term plan for the Smith County Courthouse
2020 Leadership Tyler Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient.
Endorsed by East Texas Sheriffs.
Judge Moran is a thoughtful, intentional leader who gives clear direction. He strongly supports law enforcement, working closely with the Smith County Sheriff’s office to secure the resources we need to keep our communities safe.
As a 43-year veteran in law enforcement, I know the importance of having strong leaders who support law enforcement. Moran is a proven leader who has the courage to make the right decisions even in difficult circumstances.
We can count on Judge Moran to stand up to the Radical Left and those who want to defund the police. As County Judge, he has worked hard to keep East Texas communities safe.
After meeting him and learning about his proven record of supporting the Smith County Sheriff’s office, I know he is the right man for the job.
The Latest News.
Judge Moran is active in the community, volunteering for a number of non-profit organizations including Cancer Foundation for Life, Boy Scouts of America Troop 370 (Green Acres), Discovery Science Place, Whitehouse I.S.D. Education Foundation, and Smith County Bar Association. He is a strong conservative and has served as Republican Party of Texas State Convention Delegate, Smith County Republican Party Precinct Chairman, Chairman of the Smith County Republican Party Candidate Committee, and as an Election Judge.
Judge Moran represented District 5 on the Tyler City Council from 2005-2009, and he has been the Smith County Judge since 2016. He and his wife, Kyna, are the proud parents of four children – Caleb, Victoria, Juliette, and Lincoln. The Moran family are active members of South Spring Baptist Church in Tyler, Texas, where they have served as Sunday School teachers for the past several years.
- Founder & principal owner, Nathaniel Moran Law Firm
- Franchise owner, Remedy Staffing
- Former partner, Ramey & Flock Law Firm
- State Judicial Commission on Mental Health, Appointed by the Supreme Court of Texas and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
- Mayor Pro Tem, City of Tyler — May 2009
- Councilmember, District 5, City of Tyler — 2005-2009
- Smith County Judge, 2016 – present
Republican Party Leadership
- Smith County Republican Club — Past President
- Smith County Republican Party — Former Candidate Committee Chairman
- Smith County Republican Party — Former Chair, Precinct 55
- Republican Party of Texas State Convention — Delegate
- Smith County — Former Precinct 55 Election Judge
- J.D. – Texas Tech University School of Law
- M.B.A. – Texas Tech University
- B.A. – Texas Tech University
- U.S. Military Academy (West Point, NY)